Your oral health is a vital part of your overall health and wellness, so it’s important that you practice healthy oral habits. For example, brushing and flossing are good, healthy oral habits. You should know that part of managing your oral health means you have to be proactive with it. Fortunately, preventative dentistry at Smiles by Dr. K makes this possible.
What is Preventative Dentistry?
Preventative dentistry is the practice of caring for your oral hygiene by keeping teeth and gums clean and healthy. It helps to prevent things like cavities, gum disease, enamel wear, and periodontitis. Some of the ways you practice preventative dentistry is by developing healthy habits such as brushing and flossing daily and eating a balanced diet. But, that’s not all you have to do to maintain your oral health. Preventive dentistry also includes getting regular dental check-ups and cleanings to ensure optimal oral hygiene.
How You Play a Role in the Health of Your Teeth
Everyone benefits from preventative dentistry. It’s a simple and proactive way of maintaining your oral health which in turn, has a positive impact on your overall health and wellness. Children benefit the most from preventative dentistry because it allows children’s newly developed adult teeth to come in strong and healthy, giving them a great start to a healthy mouth. Because preventive dentistry is a form of dental care that includes your personal habits, you actually play a key role in its success.
Here are some ways you can practice preventative dentistry:
- Brush your teeth twice daily, using proper brushing methods. Also be sure to use a soft-bristled brush and a fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss once daily to remove trapped food in between teeth to prevent plaque build-up.
- Following your flossing routine, use a fluoride mouthwash to get rid of any food particles left in your mouth.
- Avoid eating too many acidic foods as it can deteriorate your tooth’s enamel.
- Be cautious when eating hard foods like some candies or food with bones in it as they can cause damage such as tooth chipping or cracking.
- Avoid tobacco products such as cigarettes and chewing tobacco.
- Use a mouthguard when playing contact sports.
- Use a nightguard if you tend to grind your teeth while you sleep.
Benefits of Preventative Dentistry Reno
There are numerous benefits to practicing good dental habits through the use of preventive dentistry. Not only will your oral health improve, but your overall health may benefit as well. Here are a few ways it can benefit you:
- Promotes good oral hygiene practices for children and adults.
- Limits your risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease, and other serious dental problems.
- Early detection of dental problems which could help minimize treatment and cost.
- Also helps reduce dental problems related to certain medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and eating disorders. For those with chronic conditions, preventative dental care is needed to maintain oral and overall health.
Connect With Your Reno Dentist
By practicing good habits and visiting your Reno dentist regularly, you’ll always be in tip-top shape, and your gums and teeth will thank you! Connect with our team to schedule an appointment and get your oral hygiene back on track!